Charles:

I'm thinking of instead of a:

READVU SeqNo FROM FILENAME.FV, 'CTRL', 1 ELSE SeqNo = 0
.
...test for existence and get the next unique value
...update record
WRITEV SeqNo ON FILENAME.FV, 'CTRL', 1

do something like:

LOCK 50
READV SeqNo FROM FILENAME.FV, 'CTRL', 1 ELSE SeqNo = 0
.
...test for existence and get the next unique value
...update record
WRITEV SeqNo ON FILENAME.FV, 'CTRL', 1
UNLOCK 50

Then make sure this is either an include or a subroutine used by everything
that needs a particular unique sequence no.  In this case, everyone gets the
momentary lock they need and transaction bracketing doesn't break the
locking mechanism.

Bill