> Ouch.  Granted my function opens a file and [currently, for
> debug] prints to the screen, but attempting to call it with
> SUBR from an I-Descriptor caused... '25945 Bus error' and
> left the session unresponsive.

I don't get the example as posted - seems like F.FILE doesn't get saved
anywhere between calls.

Shouldn't it be:

FUNCTION A51.ULTIMATE.PARENT( ID, FILENAME, F.FILE, FIELD.NUM )
<snip>
                      ******
      IF NOT(FILEINFO(F.FILE,0)) THEN
          CRT 'Opening file'
          OPEN FILENAME TO F.FILE ELSE RETURN -2
      END ELSE
          CRT 'Using existing file handle'
      END

Instead?  Seems like your choices are passing around the file handle as a
parameter, sticking it in named common or one of the @user variables.

Ian