I'm hoping someone has a solution to an issue plaguing one of our clients.
The system is Universe 10 over AIX, using OleDB from .NET client and it is
running normally for telnet users.

    Many SQL "select" statements are being issued to the server
successfully, but once in a while an E_FAIL error is returned. When the
error is returned, it seems like the query is successful, but the
connection dies before a result can be returned. When the connection fails,
the Universe license is left hanging, requiring a brutal termination for
release.
    All the selects execute in the same order: Connect, Select, Close. The
error is random, the same statement will sometimes work or not. This does
not seem to be related to the number of users active on the system.
Different files are being accessed, it's highly improbable there is a
syntax issue, and syntax shouldn't cause this level of corruption of the
connection anyway.

    IBM Support does not presently have a solution but they are checking to
see if this is related to a similar issue which was patched in Unidata. Is
anyone aware of other instances of this issue on Universe - with a firm
resolution?

    Switching to ODBC is not an option, the site switched to OleDB after
experiencing even worse issues with ODBC. Barring any OleDB-related
solution we may migrate the data access code to mv.NET with support for
ADO.NET, starting in just a few days.

Forum or direct response welcome.

Thanks,
Tony Gravagno