On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:54:12 -0400, you wrote:

>This ain't rocket science but it piques my curiosity.
>
>I've just acquired another client who's system contains an extrodinary use of
>the prefix THE in front of extracted values within a FOR/NEXT or LOOP and
>labels.
>
>READ CUST FROM blah, blah
>C=DCOUNT(CUST<15>,@VM)
>FOR I=1 TO C
>     THE.SALESMAN=CUST<15,I>
>NEXT I
>
>I've seen this before but not to the extent on this client. The application
>appears older (mid 1980's) and certainly homegrown.
>
>I'm just wondering who comes up with this stuff.

That's possibly written by someone who learned to code in COBOL, IE,
totally self-documenting code.

>Also, was there ever any lack of faith in the READ statement when assigning
>the variable REC. I'm now seeing some of this:
>
>REC="" ; READ REC FROM FILE, ID ELSE REC=""
If coded like this, then you can do operations on REC without it
failing with a "variable unassigned error".  So, instead of branching
on the READ ELSE, you branch later based on the value of REC<n>.

--
Allen Egerton