> The Wang spooler was probably running directly attached printers (via
> serial or parralell interfaces).  This would allow the spooler to
> "know" much more about the status of a job than the more "modern"
> printers that are network attached (and deal with complete print jobs
> in one fell swoop).  For a network attached printer to offer up the
> same funtionality, full two way communication of status as it happens
> would need to occur.  While the Wang may have had much better control
> over the print job, how long did you have to wait for that 500+ page
> report???

I understand the reasons, but that doesn't mean I don't miss the
functionality.  We were dealing primarily with a big 1200 lpm band printer.
(Dataproducts disguised as Wang).  The Wang used a proprietary dual coax
wiring scheme.  It looked like small welding hose!  Archaic to the extreme,
but it sure did work well.  All the pieces talked to each other constantly,
so the host knew the status of everything.  Don't misunderstand...I'd never
go back, but I sure miss having that level of control over the peripheral
hardware.

Norman Morgan <> [EMAIL PROTECTED] <> http://www.brake.com
Miracle Software, Inc.  "If it works, it's a Miracle!"