David,
I have been on vacation so I am not sure if you have resolved this issue.
Below is a little snippet from one of our internal docs concerning RPC
issues and UniAdmin.  Also, we have found the Windows firewall can cause
problems.

When trying to log into UniAdmin for UniVerse 10.1 on a Windows 2003 server.
This resulted in the ODBC connection getting an "invalid user id or
password" error when trying to connect
If RRAS is running it can automatically turn on the firewall and block the
port that the RPC service listens on, which is port 31438.
UniVerse RPC Service is not tied in with Windows RPC service.
        So, UniVerse RPC can fail and Windows RPC will still be
        running.
If Windows 2003 is running IIS v6.0 it can interfere with the
        RPC port.  To correct it, open IIS and right click on Web
        Sites.  Click on the Service tab and check the box that says
        "Run WWW service in IIS 5.0 isolation mode."  Then reboot the
        server.

HTH,
Mike Dallaire
Mortgage Builder Software Inc.