Kevin,

Thanks for replying. What you suggest is what I currently do, however I
was hoping that some kindly and knowledgeable soul would spring a
surprise on me! I can see that the GetAtVariable method of the session
object can pull in various @variables, and I can also see that, for the
most part in a windows environment and a VB app, knowing the port number
is probably fairly meaningless, but in a system that combines SB+ gui
and VB, it does still have a use. I can achieve my aim by doing a noddy
subroutine that returns @UDTNO, but my hope was that it might be
available (and undocumented) via uniobjects.

Thanks anyway!

SC