Named common can be a very powerful tool and where needed is often the
best, if not only, way to create a solution that works for the user.  Like
any other tool it has its good and bad points.

First and foremost is selecting a name that is as unique to the process
(not filename) as possible.

Then DOCUMENT YOUR SYSTEM!!

Finally, manage your common.  At least in UV we had a problem because
named common persisted between accounts when a LOGTO was done.  Yes there
are ways around that problem, but it was a subtle problem to debug, when
global settings were carried over from the other account.

Any tool can be misused.

Rich Taylor | Senior Programmer/Analyst| VERTIS
250 W. Pratt Street | Baltimore, MD 21201
P 410.361.8688 | F 410.528.0319
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.vertisinc.com

Vertis is the premier provider of targeted advertising, media, and
marketing services that drive consumers to marketers more effectively.

"The more they complicate the plumbing
  the easier it is to stop up the drain"

- Montgomery Scott NCC-1701