Sometimes, if a subroutine is only called during certain situations (thus,
not often) and the file used by the subroutine is not used by the main
program, opening the file within the subroutine that uses it makes sense to
me.
From: "Mark Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

What's the real need to have OPEN's in a sub. Isn't the main purpose of subs
to allow repeated access of the same code. What's wrong with top-down coding
with the OPENs, INCLUDES and other housekeeping in the beginning.

I also think that any programming to accomodate the hardware limitations of
the past should stay in the past. Dartmouth and other interpeted Basic
languages were proven that code nearer to the top executed faster. So be it.
I can't imagine that a sub anywhere in a program is any 'closer' to the top
runs noticably faster. You would be hard pressed in a 60-100 user
environment with everyone running their variety of apps to notice a provable
difference in your program. Academic at best.

I just inherited a job costing app that is a bear to debug. It 'reads' well
with its graceful GOSUBs for everything but it gets out of hand. BTW, I wish
the data/basic debugger would not 'step' through called subs when stepping
through the main program.

Just curious.