--- "Cooper, Rudy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Has anyone been successful in creating an odbc
> connection from sqlserver
> to UV running on a W2k platform ?

Hi Rudy,

At the University of Pennsylvania Veterinary Hospital,
we have set up a UniVerse ODBC data source as a Linked
Server on SQL Server 7 (not sure how much this will
change for newer versions of SQL Server). Our UniVerse
instance runs on RedHat Linux, but all of these steps
should apply to your instance also. This is a much
more manageable solution than using DTS (in my
experience).

Steps:
1. Configure the UniVerse account for ODBC access (see
the UniVerse ODBC Guide)
2. Install the UniVerse ODBC client on your client
machine (SQL Server)
3. Set up a machine data source on your Windows client
(once again, the machine running SQL Server).
4. In SQL Server Enterprise Manager, go to the
Security folder under the database server that you
want to connect, right click on the Linked Servers
item, select "New Linked Server...", and complete the
dialogs.

Once your Linked Server has been configured, you can
query the UniVerse ODBC connection directly from
within SQL Server by using the following method:

SELECT Field1,Field2,Field3
FROM OPENQUERY(YOUR_LINKED_SERVER_NAME,
'SELECT Field1,Field2,Field3
FROM YOUR_UNIVERSE_TABLE_OR_FILE')

Once you have this going, you can use stored
procedures to do any data synchronization tasks (or
anything else). Stored procedures are faster and
easier to maintain than DTS.

WARNING: SQL Server's ODBC client is VERY sensitive to
discrepancies between the expected datatype (as
specified in your file dictionary) and the actual data
returned. Spend some time making sure your file
dictionaries specify the proper datatypes.

Good Luck!

Rick Ward
IT Director for Hospital Systems
Matthew J. Ryan Veterinary Hospital
University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary
Medicine
rickward at vet dot upenn dot edu