The printers are HP LaserJets of diffent models 4200, 4100 mfp, 1320, 4Si.

It appears that what I am trying to do is re-write PCL into PJL.

Per the following code cribbed from Raining Data, I can print a text string
in portrait or landscape via the following.

Tweaking this code to handle duplexing is what is needed.

    Esc = char(27)

    PJL.Cmd = '@PJL '
    UEL.Cmd = Esc : '%-12345X'
    PJL.TYPE = 'DEFAULT '

    PO.ID = 'YYY'

    execute "SETPTR ,80,60,2,0,1,BRIEF,NHEAD,NFMT,NOEJECT,AS PO_":PO.ID:",AT
FRONT"

    printer on

    print UEL.Cmd : PJL.Cmd

    PRINT PJL.Cmd : 'DEFAULT ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT'

    PRINT UEL.Cmd

    PRINT 'XXX'

    END

--Bill