-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Wolverton
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 10:56 AM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] [UD] BASIC "LOCK"s

Since we don't have Semaphore-like COMMON structures, I was going to use the
BASIC "LOCK" to know that a Phantom was running -- the lock missing would
tell me to start the process.

HOWEVER, if the phantom 'dies' - the documentation makes it read as if the
LOCK will stay engaged -- does anyone have practical knowledge if a phantom
falling over 'implies' an ECL QUIT?

I know I could use READU, but my understanding is that BASIC LOCKs use far
fewer resources to test - and as I will add a test for the Phantom being
'up' in several common routines, I don't want to cause extra bottlenecks.

(I really wish we had cross-process COMMON for things like this!)

Thanks -
David W.