David, Kevin and Ed:

Thanks for the tip.  My question was the select list remaining active,
rather than the page message or the program aborting.  Although the program
aborting sucks, it has always occurred in pick-like systems.

In all Pick systems I've ever used, Microdata, Adds, GA, R83, R91, D3, and
UV, when a file is selected then listed, within BASIC, quiting the display
doesn't leave the select list active.  How can I turn off this unexpected
feature?

Thanks again,

Bill

P.S. It looks fortunate that I only have a couple of programs that do this,
like the list-files program.  :-)