Rodney:

Thanks.  I was thinking this was true.  U2 does allow direct reference to an
O/S path from within BASIC, e.g:

OPEN 'DOS:E:\IBM\ud71\sys\BP' TO BP.FV ...     (in D3)
OSOPEN 'E:\IBM\ud71\sys\BP' TO BP.FV...        (in UD)
OPENPATH 'E:\IBM\ud71\sys\BP' TO BP.FV...      (in UV)

I can do this (assuming I have permissions) in DOS or Linux by:

>dir e:\IBM\ud71\sys\BP
     or
#ls -al /ourdir/ourbankdata

D3 allows such direct O/S reference from TCL, like:

:LIST DOS:E:\IBM\ud71\sys\BP
     or
:LIST UNIX:/ourdir/ourbankdata

Or to a file within a different D3 account by:

:LIST PAYROLL,EMPLOYEE,2004,
     or
:LIST DM,BP,

This would one less layer of "stuff" we'd have to go through when installing
and configuring our application and I'm thinking: less is more (or where is
the MV2006 standard).  :-)

Thanks again.  Maybe this would be a good enhancement request.  :-)

Bill