I've been converting dictionaries from a D3 dbms and am wondering what is
considered "best practices" in virtual attribute design.

Does one build standard "D"irect fields first then use these fields to build
virtual attributes (I-Descriptors) or should one use the direct field
references, "EXTRACT()" or "<n,n,n>", in virtual attributes?

DEPOSITED
001 D The date of the deposit.
002 2

VOID
001 D Is this a voided receipt?
002 12

DEPDATE
001 I The displayed deposit date (if not voided).
002 IF VOID = "" THEN DEPOSITED ELSE "*Voided*"

or

DEPDATE
001 I The displayed deposit date (if not voided).
002 EXTRACT( @RECORD, 2, 0, 0 ) ; EXTRACT( @RECORD, 12, 0, 0 ) ;
    IF @2 = "" THEN @1 ELSE "*Voided*"

The obvious concern is if a direct field definition is renamed, then all
references to the old field name need to be changed.  I rarely rename a
field, until I started exposing the data to other data sources and was
forced to clean up the field names.  So, hopefully, this won't be an issue
in the future.

Any thoughts.

Bill Haskett