Bill,

We developed a program, TAPE.DUMP,  to T-DUMP any list of, or all of the
files and/or MD items in an account to tape, including the file
characteristics of each file (in the label of the dump).

We developed a companion program, TAPE.LOAD, to  create each file that did
not exist and then T-LOAD the dumped files to another database.

We have used it successfully for moving all the files in an accounts from
A/P, R91 and mvBase to Universe in two steps and have not run into the
rewind problems that you described on Unidata.

It almost feels like Universe is finding only one file dumped on the tape
from D3 and is rewinding because it found and EOT marker.

One of the associate consultants that works with us is a Unidata guy and
I'll be glad to ask him if he has run into this on Unidata.

The other observation I'd like to make is that several knowledgeable Unidata
people have suggested to me that Unidata is decidedly not a Pick-like
database, and that converting software from D3 to Unidata will be a long and
expensive process, and will leave you with two versions of your software
that will be distinctly different from each.

We also looked at Unidata several  years ago and we chose to convert our
software to Universe instead of Unidata partly because Universe offers the
"Pick" flavor that allows us to run essentially the same code on all generic
Pick platforms, with occasional platform-specific flags that can be searched
on and reset as we move the software from one platform to the other.

Also, because Universe does not support the generic Pick spooler commands
(:STARTSPOOLER, STARTPTR, SP-ASSIGN, LISTPTR, LISTPEQS, etc.), and because
we didn't want to rewrite all the print program in our software to SETPTR
commands, we developed a generic Pick spooler for Universe, called
UvSpoolerPlus.

Using these two tools, you could migrate your software from D3 to Universe
with a minimal amount of modification compared with the major effort you are
facing migrating D3 code to Unidata.

If you'd like to explore this further, please give me a call.

Rgds,

Dave

Dave Taylor
President
Sysmark Information Systems, Inc.
49 Aspen Way
Rolling Hills Estates, CA 90274
800-SYSMARK (800-797-6275)
(O) 310-544-1974
(C) 310-561-5200
(P) 800-339-1497
(F) 310-377-3550
Your Source for Integrated EDI Translation and DataSync Integration
www.sysmarkinfo.com