> is the update section returning
> a value which you need for the query section?  Is something running
> after the update section before the query that is needed for the query
> section?

No.  That was lifted straight from a little test program I'm using to
try to figure out what's wrong.  In fact I need to run the query (and
the associated column bindings, etc.) first in order to get the rowId
I am supposed to update.

Still no idea why the update-then-query works, but not the other way around. :/

Thanks... keep the ideas coming.  I know other people are using two
statement environments, so clearly I'm doing something wrong. :)

--
Wendy