Steve:

This is almost always limited to HP printers.

What normally happens is that a print job always begins with a form feed.
When PCL  preceeds this print job you get a string that looks like:

Pcl commands : FF : Print job

Then, when this string is sent to the printer, HP interprets "Pcl commands"
as text, so doesn't suppress the leading form feed...other printers often
do.

In D3, I was able to start a printer and suppress the leading form feed.
However, D3 interpreted "Pcl commands" as text so when the "Print job" was
sent it got preceeded by a "FF" anyway.

The only way I was able to resolve this was to remove all form feeds from
the print job (you can turn this off in D3), use footings in all reports (we
already did anyway), and append a "FF" to the end of the footing (our
footing text resides in a file).  I don't yet know what solution exists for
U2 but I'll soon find out.  :-(

Bill