Do a status against the file in a basic routine, and the device # is <11>. You could write a program to do this and populate a file with the device #, the inode (field 10), and the full path. At least, that's what I do.

You'll need to run it periodically. Inodes change; creating a new file, doing a resize, etc. will change the inodes.

"Our greatest duty in this life is to help others. And please, if you can't help them, could you at least not hurt them?" - H.H. the Dalai Lama "When buying & selling are controlled by legislation, the first thing to be bought & sold are the legislators" - P.J. O'Rourke
Dan Fitzgerald

From: "phil walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Subject: [U2] Unix Device Number
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:10:52 +1300

Hi,

The output of list.readu returns the device and inode number of a
Universe file. I can resolve the inode number by using find . -inum
xxxxxx, but if I am positioned at / then it is possible that 1 or more
files may have that same inode number, so I want to restrict the find to
the corresponding device.

Is there a way of determining the mount point for a file system device
id in UNIX?

Cheers,

Phil.