On 5/2/06, Victor St Clair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I've seen this question asked from time to time, but I can't get into
the archives to find out what the answer has been.

What archives are you having trouble with?  I usually use Nabble:
  http://www.nabble.com/U2---Users-f801.html

I find myself the person assigned to a new development project with the
responsibility of learning to use the Basic Client Interface to access
data in an SQL2005 DB.   I have the BCI manual from IBM and am starting
my journey through it.  But I recall seeing comments in the past to the
effect of  "the examples supplied are not that useful, you can get
better examples at .....".

I did okay with the manual and the example program, though IMO the
example overly complicates the process with all the error checking. You'll find a few messages of mine in the archives when I was fighting
with BCI about one thing or another.

The main problem is that depending on your combination of OS and
target database, it can be difficult-to-impossible to find both a
driver and driver manager so that ODBC access to an external DB
actually works.

For example, connecting from UniData on HP-UX to Sybase never
worked... we ended up buying a single-user Windows license for UniData
so we could finish the project.  (Which then required the addition of
NFA to talk to the original UniData instance on HP-UX!)

I see your second note saying you're on Windows, so you'll be fine
there.  Give it a try and let us know if you have questions.

--
Wendy