-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Hennessey, Mark
F.
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 1:29 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] UV - Users couldn't get into UniVerse

Solaris 8, UV 10.0.8 ...

A sister site had a strange error today.  Users could successfully login
to unix, but once the login script performed an exec uv the user would
hang, with no response.  Using ps -aef showed "uv" as their last
command. Users all ready on were OK.  The only apparent errors were in
uvdlockd.log (numerous iterations):

Tue Jun 20 10:06:50 2006 - Failure in LK_cleanup_pshm
Tue Jun 20 10:06:50 2006 - DeadLock Daemon started in Dead Process
Cleanup Mode by pid (13100) Tue Jun 20 10:06:50 2006 - ** Cleanup being
performed for UserSig(74)

I thought it might have been that the login semaphore was locked, but
every time they checked it using SEMAPHORE.STATUS it appeared to be in a
zero state.

The situation may have resolved itself, or the half-panicked executions
of uvlictool, UNLOCK LOGINLOCK SEMAPHORE, and HELP ME NOW, plus banging
on the console with a half eaten bananna may have resolved it.

I'm thinking the errors in the uvdlockd.log are either a red herring or
symptoms, not the cause. Other than the login sempahore, what could
cause the a user to experience these symptoms?  Any random thoughts
would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Hennessey