Hi Tony ,

I will probably regret this post - I never seem to get past one or 2
before the jumping down of throats begins ;-)

While I agree with what you say as far as support is concerned ( and I
still stand by my statement that there is now and never has been any
cost to report a bug to MS , talking to a real person to find a solution
can be a different story ), personally I don't see access to product
documentation and knowledgebase information as even remotely related to
support.  I look at it more as marketing.  Why give away the system and
not give away the info ?

In my case , the particular VAR I have access to ( or rather my
customers have access to ) consists of a company of 'developers' none of
which have cracked a manual since the 70's, any mention of sockets or
xml or http or services or anything post 1980 just begets blank stares
and the shaking of heads.  Virtually ANY questions directed at them have
to be re-directed to IBM so what would have been a 30 second
knowledgebase inquiry is dragged out to 4 weeks.  And what can we do
about it - nada.

I realize that that is the way it is with IBM and I lived with quietly.
I don't see the recent thread as complaining - that would imply that
there is someone in a position to make a difference within earshot. It
is just good old healthy venting and that's one of the good things about
this kind of list, you can always find a sympathic ear even if just so
that you know that you are alone in your opinions.

Gerry