Dave, Brian, all,

I get around the problem of the SELECT and COPY syntax differences by making
a copy of the pick-flavored verbs (some platforms already have them) and I
always execute COPYP and SELECTP and SSELECTP in my BASIC EXECUTE
statements.  Likewise you could create COPYI that is always the prime
flavored even in a "pick-flavored-account" and then your hard-code can
execute prime copy syntax -- which, granted, is easier to execute from
within a basic program because its all on one command line rather than
hitting return and responding to a prompt...

I have to get even trickier in SB+ -- which will not "officially" run in
Prime and Reality flavored accounts.  I can't get to their source code to
control the verb, so I continuously swap-out the verb in before-and-after
routines.  And of course I avoid using SB+ for selections when I can.  But
F3 lookups are so fantastic and I'm loathe to reinvent them.  So I swap out
the verb when I have to.  Yes, it's risky -- there could be a failure by
another process executing SELECT at the same moment.  But -- I minimize when
I use it and I've been lucky.

I've proposed (for years) to IBM that SB+ create the "P" verbs as part of
the SB-enablement of an account and then change all the source code to
execute those P-verbs at all times.  It's a simple fix, has no downside and
then voila! SB+ runs in all flavors.  But I digress.  (and fantasize that if
anyone else thinks this is an issue perhaps they'll put their own weight
behind my request.)  :)

Susan