Sounds like you're I/O bound, although 2.6 million records in 2 hours
isn't all that bad in my experience.  Is it possible you're hitting the
threshold of your NICs, or competing with a lot of other network
traffic?  If both machines have multiple NICs, you could reserve one on
each machine for only talking to the other.  You could add an entry to
the hosts file on each so it would only know the other machine by the
reserved NIC's IP, then just make sure the reserved IP addresses don't
exist in DNS so no other machines will use them.  If the machines are
physically close, a crossover cable from NIC to NIC would eliminate any
switch performance issues.  At that point a rough calculation of your
throughput based on the average size of each record would tell you if
you're utilizing the available bandwith, or if there's some other
bottleneck.

-John