I will need to look more into the SUSPEND.FILES .....

After just yesterday having one of our mirrored drives fail (although
it wasn't an actual drive failure, but the RAID controller was screaming
none the less. (we are atrributing this to a power fluctuation problem
on the motherboard - just one more reason we need to replace our equipment
ASAP). I'm not so keen on breaking any mirrors just at this time, because
I KNOW, one of those drive will fail, while the mirror is broken.

> b. split a mirror while suspended - backup the mirror offline
> - and re-sync
>
> c. tar backup to a disk file [ fastest  online method ]

Is there a way to transfer a tarballed file on disk to tape, so that it
can be untarred from tape as if it were originally backed up to tape?

> Then SUSPEND.FILES OFF

I suppose, we could put restrictions during the 45 min it takes to tar up
no one could work.