-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Allen Bell
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2006 8:30 AM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] Universe Equivalent of the UnIData DIR command

Doug,

You didn't state whether this is a hashed file or a file produced from
some other OS level application which would make some difference, but
there are a number of ways to do this in UniVerse.

If the file you are interested in is a UniVerse hashed file you can try
and open it with the OPENPATH statement (or any of the other
possibilities like referencing it through a Q-pointer with the OPEN
statement). If the file doesn't exist, the ELSE clause of the OPENPATH
or OPEN statement will be taken.

If the file is not a UniVerse hashed file you can always try and open it
with the OPENSEQ statement by using the directory path to the file. Once
again, if the file doesn't exist, the ELSE clause will be taken.

Either way, once the file is open  you can use the Basic STATUS
statement on the file variable to return a wealth of information about
the file, all the fields you are interested in plus many more fields.

Example:

OPENSEQ '/etc/passwd' TO PASSWD.FILE ELSE
   CRT 'Cannot open the unix file of all valid users'
   STOP
END
STATUS FILE.PROPERTIES FROM PASSWD.FILE THEN
   CRT 'The size of /etc/passwd is ':FILE.PROPERTIES<6,1,1>
   CRT 'The permissions of /etc/passwd are ':FILE.PROPERTIES<5,1,1> END
ELSE
   CRT 'Could not retrieve status on /etc/passed'
END

 From TCL:

HELP BASIC STATUS
HELP BASIC OPENSEQ
HELP BASIC OPENPATH

 From the Basic manual (CD) you can check each of these commands for a
more detailed explanation including how to use $INCLUDE UNIVERSE.INCLUDE
FILEINFO.H which will let you retrieve about 90 different properties of
of the file by name rather than <attribute,value,subvalue>