If you want to use GNU screen with emulation other than VT family
(including xterm), you have to add many tweaks in the screenrc file for
your emulation.
You might need to hack the screen to use a slave printer.  If you want
to use the screen with aux. input devices, like credit card swipe reader
and pen scanner, it does not let you use them unless you configure those
devices with escape sequence the screen likes.

GNU screen also give you TANDEM like capability too (sudo + screen).

If you are just looking for a capability to attach/detach a screen
session, you might be interested in application called "dtach."  Dtach
is a slender version of GNU screen.

We've been using GNU screen for 5+ years.  All our associates (10,000+)
run udt sessions under the screen command.

If you are going to let (!geek) use GNU screen, you need to ask yourself
a question... "mmm...do we have C programmers who can read HUGE and
spaghetti C code for supporting GNU screen?"  If the answer is NO, don't
use it.  :)