Hi - as you state the wintegrate subs need to be run inside a telent sesion
with wintegrate as the client, The funny characters are infact instructions
to wintegrate, so there is no way to get them to run outside of this whether
in a phantom or not

I presume your unidata is on *nix - it is infact very easy to read/write to
a pc share, just use samba, either share a directory on the nix box and the
Pc's can see it as a share or mount the pc share onto nix using the mount
command
e.g. mount -t smbfs -o username=user,password=pass
//192.168.1.1/windowssharename /mnt/winshare

then you can use /mnt/winshare

Alternativley windows server 2003 allows you to create a share as a NFS
share that means you can mount it on your *nix box without using samba.
Samba is installed by default on linux but may not be on all distros.

If however your database box is windows then you can just create a shared
drive in the normal manner.

rgds
Symeon.