Thanks to Brian, Sara, Mark, Charles and Baker for your responses.
I hope Brian and Charles have hit the nail on the head. I did manage to
create an infinitely recursive subroutine call, exactly as Charles said,
by reusing code from a different program with slightly different
structure (GOTO instead of RETURN).
This phantom has now been running for almost 20 hours, and I have hopes
it will run until I tell it to stop.
Now I've just got to clean up my XML processing, so that every
PrepareXML is matched with a ReleaseXML, and every OpenXMLData has a
corresponding CloseXMLData - if I found a malformed XML input (which I
haven't so far) I was skipping the ReleaseXML or CloseXMLData.

Thanks everyone and Happy Easter !!
David Norman
Senior Software Engineer
SA Ambulance Service