From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Brian Leach
Sent: Sat 4/14/2007 6:57 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [U2] U2 / mv.net

Nick

I use both - along with just about anything else I can get my hands on.

To all intents and purposes there is NO difference between C# and VB.net.
There was at earlier releases - whether deliberate marketing or not, at 1.0
and 1.1 some aspects of C# did perform better. That's no longer the case
with 2.0 and a lot of total rubbish is talked about the different
capabilities - usually by C# pros wishing to defend their geekiness and
higher fees. But then, 'twas always thus with C++.

In fact, that discussion is just another thing Microsoft have inherited from
the Borland world when they appropriated Delphi for the design of .NET - all
those Borland C++ guys (yes it was always guys) trying to pretend C++ was
faster than Delphi. Wrong..

It's really just a matter of personal style and preference. I tend to use C#
for my own projects and amusement and VB for onsite work - especially if the
code will eventually be maintained and supported by someone else. It's just
that little bit easier to read.

I also prefer the VB syntax for purely IDE purposes - the intellisense works
better when you type

Dim MyVariable as New [and the drop down appears to give you the options ]

as opposed to the C#

[no context for the drop down to appear so you must remember the path
yourself]
System.bloody.long.namespace.path.to.this MyVariable = new [dropdown now
finally appears for] System.bloody.long.namespace.path.to.this();

(As an aside, that's a bit of syntax I've always despised. Why not have a
default constructor that doesn't need you to repeat the class name after
new? How much time/typing would that save?)

And the IDE makes a better job of linking event delegates in VB compared to
C#. Passing var arguments is more clumsy in C# and annoying after VB. On the
other hand, the syntax for generics fits more nicely with C#. Ya Pays Ya
Money..

So essentially - if you want to show off use C#. If you want to produce code
that people can follow, use VB.net. That's really the choice.

At the library level they all work together. So you can always mix and match
if you have a modular design. I've always done that with native Windows
development - VB wrappers (for the look and feel) around Delphi components
(to do the work) and occasional C++ libraries, drawing on the best skills of
the developers I had at the time. People can get too hung up on the
languages. What matters - always - is the design: you can produce crap in
any language!

I would learn both VB and C# anyway and widen your options - the real 'work'
in learning .Net is about understanding the framework and design principles,
and how Windows/GUI/Event oriented applications work anyway. After that, the
syntax comes second.

Brian

This is a message from the MailScanner E-Mail Virus Protection Service
The original e-mail attachment "winmail.dat"
was believed to be infected by a virus and has been replaced by this warning
message.

If you wish to receive a copy of the *infected* attachment, please
e-mail helpdesk and include the whole of this message
in your request. Alternatively, you can call them, with
the contents of this message to hand when you call.