On 4/17/07, Baker Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Thanks, Dawn, for that thorough response.

You mention the helpdesk project at IBM. Susie S. told the Spectrum
gathering at Long Beach that the embedded db is UniVerse.
Perhaps we're not speaking of the same project.  I was also told by
others this is the coming app to manage all software
and hardware calls for IBM, worldwide.

Yes, that was my reply -- that I thought that the app that does or
will manage all such calls is UniVerse. I do not recall the exact
response, but my impression, which could very well be wrong, is that
it is UniVerse and it is going to be Cache'. I would like to know the
actual situation on this, however. It just seems like a terribly poor
business decision for IBM to write a new application with a database
product from another company when they want to claim that they have
the best solutions (or perhaps that is not their claim?) But if it
really is the case that IBM will be writing new software with Cache',
then I will say that I understand why.  I had to evaluate database and
tool solutions for my own project and I came to the conclusion that I
would use Cache'. Maybe IBM and I think alike afterall ;-)  I gotta
think that such a decision by IBM could have implications for getting
more resources to the U2 group to add the types of features and
quality benchmarks (24/7 approach, for example) to the own products so
that at some point perhaps they can migrate back to U2???  Or do I
have this story completely wrong?  Inquiring minds...

Kind of you to share your investigation with the group.

This give us lots to think about, when the time comes.

Please note that I really wanted U2 to be the right answer as I do not
dismiss loyalty from project requirements easily. But for the sake of
my company, the case was too compelling and I felt I had to choose
Cache' over U2. It wasn't ONLY that I like to attend a lively
conference with folks working with the same technology platform ;-)

All the best for your new venture.

Thanks a bunch.  Once I actually have something to show in public
(figure a year from now, but I'll aim for sooner), I will let folks
here know where they can take a look at it. It will still be
MultiValue, even if not U2.  Cheers!  --dawn

-Baker

Dawn M. Wolthuis
Tincat Group, Inc.  tincat-group.com

Take and give some delight today