We did have a dog and pony show here. We were somewhat impressed and thinking that it could be an alternative if we needed to move from what we have. But we have been a UV user for the entire existence of the company and what we have works. Like I said if the need arises Cache would definitely be an option. The file structure is just something we would have to get use to. Since we are an end user and build all of our own applications in house it would cost us more in training costs to switch then we would save. Tell your friend at Intersystems that he shouldn't be so arrogant about files not breaking. I have been in the business too many years to believe such hogwash. I have not seen any database that couldn't at some time break. No matter how much programming safeguards you put in place you cannot foresee a hardware glitch, a network break, lost connection or an application bug. And no matter how much programming you put into recovery there will be that one time in the most critical process when it will happen. I believe there is a Murphy's Law on it.
Jerry

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dawn Wolthuis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:04 PM
Subject: Spam:Re: [U2] [U2C] U2 / Cache

On 4/17/07, Jerry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Dawn,
I will elaborate a little more. Unless they have changed their file
structures from the OpenM system this is what you will have. When you log
into their environment you will have all of the tables and program files and
they may look the same as working within the MV environment. But from the
operating system side looking at the file system you have one file that is
humongous with a few log files outside of it.

Yes, I think that is the case as the default, and you can make changes
to have a many to many relationship between OS files and Pick files.

This one file, in our case
it's MUMPS.DAT, is where all of those tables are and where you have logged
into.

I think that what is different is that InterSystems has made
significant enhancements to their product, to reliability and
scalability as well as features like AJAX, in the past decade or so,
with many of these enhancements now available to Pick folks too. I
have not seen another MV implementation put the time, money, and
creativity into their products, giving them the same level of uptime,
scalability and features that Cache' has. I don't need to be their
sales arm here, and I am working with my
before-I-do-real-things-with-it information, so you might want to ask
me again in a half year or so.

I did ask around regarding supporting the sys admin and their
customers don't seem to think about broken files at all.  Their 24/7
support desk sounds like it is top notch from the standpoint of
customers.

It makes it convenient to back up, just back up the one file. However,
the problem comes if you have a broken table (UV file). Let's say in UV you have a customer file, a client file, a vendor file, a parts file, and a wip file. If your customer file becomes corrupted in U2 a quick fix would be to rename the file from the operating system side to CUSTOMER.BAD and load the customer file from your last backup then enter any new customers since the
backup. You're back in business.

I gather that you would instead restore a namespace and then
potentially apply the transactions that were entered since that time.
This would keep the referential integrity too. They explained how
their backups work to backup the database while it is running. It is
really very impressive. I don't think I was the only one who made an
audible "wow" type of sound after hearing the specifics from the tech
folks.  If you are interested, I'm sure they would be more than happy
to chat with you about it. If you want to write up a specific
question, I can pass it along.

I am not so smitten that I think that everything will be honkey dory,
however (am I sounding like an old lady or what?!), as I'm certain
there will be plenty of "why did they do it like that" moments as we
get into the details. But I'm very impressed so far.  Cheers!  --dawn

With Cache if the customer table becomes
corrupted you can't just change the name of the table from the operating
system side because it is in this black box. There may be ways from inside that box to load that one table but I am not at that level of guru on Cache. If one of the program files was damaged or if I didn't have the knowledge to reload the individual tables I would have to wait and rely on Intersystems
to fix the problem. In any case there is a possibility I would have to
rename the black box and reload the whole thing from backup. Then I would
have to re-enter all of the Clients, customers, vendors, parts, and wip's
since the last backup. Then close out any work-in-progress (wips) that had
been completed. Only then could I let the users back on the system.
Jerry