Glen:

I bought a Dell dual-core AMD Opteron rack-mount server several months ago, to
go along with the 18 month old Xeon rack-mount server
we purchased.  The machine was virtually identical, and cost more by the way.

The AMD is twice as loud as the Intel and is most annoying.  It's always
something, isn't it?  :-)

Bill