Dawn:

There are several definitions in your link I would be embarrassed to use.
Those who
employ "Descartes Corrollary" as an analytical model, "I think therefore I'm
right!",
will always abuse language to come up with some of these definitions
(conjecture is a
theory?).

My favorite definition of statistics is a common Wall Street Journal refrain:
"if you
torture statistics long enough they'll confess to anything".  It looks like
we're
throwing a wide enough definition net to snare any description of "theory".  :-)

Bill

[snipped