At PhotoWorks circa 2003, we had approximately 500,000,000 jpegs of various
sizes sitting in Unix directories on one IBM RS6000.

We got around the OS limitations by storing image 12345678a.jpg as
/12/34/12345678a.jpg, and the top level directories were on 50 different
filesystems as I recall.

All the image metadata was stored in UniVerse on a separate server.  The
only software running on the image server was Apache and a couple of shell
scripts (and the embedded Tivoli HSM software - yes all the images were
backed up off site).

I understand PhotoWorks has moved off their IBM archive in the last few
years.