I don't know about UD but in UV isn't there a way to turn off the case
sensitivity?

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: David Wolverton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2007 10:51 AM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] [ud] Question on Alpha Sorting...

I have a need to sort people by LastName,FirstName.

The issue is that we 'accept' data from lots of sources, some that are
ProperCapped, some that are all lower, AND SOME THAT ARE ALL UPPER.

I need to 'present' them correctly sorted, but show the data 'as it is'

The record currently contains a MV list of the names 'as is' -- there could
500 names in the list.

My way of handing it (now) is to open a New attribute that I put a 'ALL
CAPS' version of the Name into, and then each insert, I so a LOCATE BY 'AL'
into the new attribute, and insert the 'SORTNAME' into the new attribute,
and the 'as TyPed NAme' as always - just now, we're not using the 'as typed'
for the sort.

My issue ... I've doubled the data being stored in order to accomplish this!
Is there a more elegant, logical way to handle this issue besides having a
'SortName' attribute and an 'AsTyped' attribute in the record?

Thanks for any thoughts for this Friday afternoon mind-tease!  (Ah ... I
miss D3's case insensitivity from time to time!!)

David W.