'MCP':@VM:'G.1'
is the exact answer your exact question of what can replace 'WHATEVER'
in your code.

The complete code becomes
   VAR1 = 'SAM':@VM:'TRUDY'
   CRT OCONV(VAR1,'MCP':@VM:'G.1')

This answer will work as long as there aren't any real periods in VAR1.

In the 2nd argument, you can stack successively executed conversion
codes separated by value marks.  Each acts on the output of the previous
conversion.
So above, the first conversion, "MCP", changes thevalue mark to a
period.  The second, "G.1" extracts the 1st group deliminated by
periods.

This also explains why
   OCONV(VAR1, 'G':@VM:'1')
doesn't work.

OCONV does not care about system delimiters in the 1st argument. It acts
on the entire string.
OCONVS (with an "S") does care.
ICONV & ICONVS make the same distinction.

People have mentioned the obvious dump of OCONV for just VAR1<1,1>,  but
I asssume you've just condensed some complicated real-world problem down
to a simplistic case.

Chuck