I'm not sure this would work, but what if you created the file as a
distributed file with 2 parts: part1 = 'public' data, part2 = 'secure'
data.

Those without security clearance would open just part1 and those with
security clearance would open the distributed file which would give them
access to both part files.

How you do that in coding shouldn't be too difficult especially if you use
named commons, I think.

This is kind of a hybrid approach I just thought of based on the other
suggestions.

Also, some of the law we have would require the two partfiles to reside on
different disks...

HTH,

Karl

<quote who="Augusto Alonso">
> Thanks Baker.
> Your suggestion is very wise, but the downside is too hard.
> In fact,
> The Dave's approach (@ENVVAR/PRIVATEFILE) would fit better for us, but...
>
> ...I've tested it, and it doesn't work at all in UniVerse (neither under
> windows nor under linux)
> I was thinking in a pointer-like sollution, so that the code remains
> unchanged.

Karl Pearson
Director of I.T.
ATS Industrial Supply, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.atsindustrial.com
800-789-9300 x29
Fax: 801-972-3888

"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
 to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."