We are looking at a new server for our future needs (approximately 2nd
quarter 2008) and Dell is recommending a RAID 6.  Currently we are on
UniVerse 10.1 but will probably go to 10.2 on the new server using
RedHat Linux (whatever version suits our needs and is available at that
time).

For the techies who know.  Good? Bad? Opinions anyone?

All of us here did a "What the heck is that when they brought it up"
(including our Network Administrator).

I read a few articles and it is basically a RAID 5 with 2 parity checks.
That way if a drive fails and another drive fails or hits a bad sector
on a disk while the recovery is in process, it keeps on going with no
data lose while a RAID 5 would have loss of data.  It has a performance
hit of 25-30 % loss on writes as compared to Raid 5.

We currently have RAID 1+0.

Thanks all!

Brenda L Price

Senior Programmer Analyst