Marco,

I see what you're saying, so I went and looked at some code fresh code I've
just written.  I see that at its deepest, it goes 5 levels deep, which is
pretty close to what you've described.  I also noticed something else:

In the cases where you could use CONTINUE, all of the ENDs are stacked on
top of each other at the bottom of the routine.  The fact that you could
use CONTINUE pretty much precludes the use of ELSE clauses that actually do
something, which eliminates 75% of the issues with nested blocks.
Personally, I don't find those situations to be particularly difficult to
decipher even when only quickly glancing through code.  That tail of ENDs
pretty much tells you that you don't need to keep track of the indent
levels in your head to sort out the flow later on.

I use the AE editor in UV, and I format with "-M0 -I2 -NOCASE", which I
think is the only reasonable way to format code.  My 5 level deep code is
in no way difficult to follow, and I can't see another level or two pushing
it over the limit.

Dave Barrett,
Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company