Hi Dianne

I have been testing with the PE environment before moving to live.  The
version 10.1 would not run properly with vista, I could not access telnet
and the rpc was not robust.  I download 10.2 and this seems to be working
with no problem.  The administrator and other U2 eclipse tools are not
compatible with the vista graphics and vista downgrades graphics to run
these.  Otherwise performance wise it seems OK.  Vista does like memory,
performance is average at 1G memory but good at 2G.

Some VB6 applications do not work in Vista and if you use VS2005 you need to
install an additional service pack after service pack 1 and run it in
administration mode.  (SQL Server 2005 also needs a special service pack.)

As Vista does not have administrator user as you would have had in XP, you
need to initialise the administrator user in the control panel>users as this
was often used to set up as the root users for universe and has the SQL
authorisations.

There is an option in the application properties to run an application in
administration mode (for compatibility issues) and you may need to do this
for any apps that are not performing well.

VPN is an issue particularly if a site uses CISCO PIX firewalls.  Microsoft
no longer accepts MS CHAP 1 authentication, only MS CHAP 2.  Some firewalls
do not handle MS CHAP 2 and this has caused issues.

The alternative option is to run virtual pc with windows xp or server 2003.
With 2GB memory this works fine and is great for demoing server applications
like sharepoint.  I am able to access VPN from the Virtual PC to sites that
the host vista does not allow.

Otherwise after a few weeks of hair pulling it seems to be performing well.

Regards

David Jordan

Managing Consultant
[EMAIL PROTECTED]