Colin:

I seem to have tracked down the issue here.  I downloaded a product called
Tunnelier
and installed it on our UniData server (this is an SSH and SFTP client for
Windows).
I use this because several of our business partners use WinSSHD as a SFTP host
on
their Windows servers, and both products are provided by the same company at
http://www.bitvise.com/.

When we connect with the SFTP server a host key is exchanged and the Tunnelier
client
tries to check if this host key is already in the host key database, located in
the
HKEY Current User subkey in the client's Windows registry.  The problem seems
to be
that the logged in user into UniData can't read this registry entry (either
can't
find it or is not allowed read access).

-- UniData ECL --
:!sftpc -profile="E:\Backups\Scripts\WinSSHD.tlp"
-hostKeyFile="E:\Backups\Scripts\id_rsa.pub" -cmdFile="E:\Backups\test.txt"

Starting first key exchange.
Server version string: SSH-2.0-1.35 sshlib: WinSSHD 3.11
New host key received. Algorithm: ssh-dss, Size: 1024 bits, bla, bla, bla...
Warning: Host key lookup failed. Reason: RegCreateKeyExA() failed: Windows
error: 5: Access is denied.
The received host key is unknown and needs to be manually verified and saved
into Tunnelier's database before connecting to the server in unattended mode.
Connect to the server interactively using Tunnelier, verify the presented host
key and save it. This program will then be able to connect to the server
unattended. Host key verification must be done from the same Windows account
under which this program is run.
ERROR: Session terminated on client's behalf:
SSH_DISCONNECT_HOST_KEY_NOT_VERIFIABLE
host key verification failed

-- DOS Shell --
E:\>sftpc -profile="E:\Backups\Scripts\WinSSHD.tlp"
-hostKeyFile="E:\Backups\Scripts\id_rsa.pub" -cmdFile="E:\Backups\test.txt"

Connecting to SSH2 server some.server.com:port#.
Connected.
Starting first key exchange.
Server version string: SSH-2.0-1.35 sshlib: WinSSHD 3.11
New host key received. Algorithm: ssh-dss, Size: 1024 bits, bla, bla, bla...
First key exchange completed.
Key exchange: bla, bla, bla...
Attempting 'password' authentication.
Authentication completed.
Opening SFTP session...
SFTP opened successfully.
Using SFTP version 2.
sftp> quit
Session terminated on user's request.

There's no difference in the commands.  The Tunnelier command-line interface
allows a
work-around so I can get this process to run properly in unattended mode.
However,
it seems to me there is a user context problem from within the UniData shell
when
executing O/S commands...I couldn't find any mention of this in the 44 UniData
.pdf
manuals I have.  Also, all kinds of wierd problems occured because sometimes I
could
get the host key read from ECL but couldn't get it read from a phantom.  No
matter
what, any time I rebooted UniData and Windows the problem appeared again and
unattended communication failed; whether at ECL or via a phantom.

I wonder why this is the case and what other limitations exist with user
context,
designed or otherwise, that would affect O/S commands.

Bill

  _____