Hi

I have a subroutine that WRITESEQ to a record in a type 1 file called
INTEGRITY.

Is there anyway I can open the file once (in the subroutine) and thereafter
use the same file handle (to avoid opening the file each time the subroutine
is called) ?

All the code on this site opens the file in the calling routine and passes
the handle to the subroutine.

I want to rather make the subroutine a stand-alone, not requiring more than
the subroutine call added to the calling programs.

I have a suspicion I can use named common - if so, does this have to be
declared in the calling routine (which would negate my purpose!).

Any advice?