Hi Dennis

We use it both in South Africa and Namibia for the Taeuber & Corssen group
of companies for full financials and Inventory.  We pay extra to have
access to source code, as we had to modify the standard system fairly
extensively for multi-company and multi-division use in our industry.

Currently we are on a fairly old version - we will be upgrading later this
year here in Namibia, and a part of our SA operation has already been
upgraded. The version we are on does have some limitations; I am not yet
sure how much of those will be addressed by the upgrade.

In general, it copes well - we have 73 licenses with 100 users fighting for
login sessions, especially around month ends.
Our users are distributed throughout the country on VPN links - comms
failures on these can cause some issues.
The standard system also does not make use of indexing, and the data
dictionaries could do with refinement. In the past this was not a problem,
but we are starting to have performance issues, as some of our data files
have grown to a couple of gigabytes.  In the near future, we'll further
customise to use indexing - preliminary tests for this looks good.

To give an indication of what Embrace copes with here in Namibia - We print
roughly 20000 invoices per month, and the necessary picking requests for
the warehouses, with a product range of about 1200 items.  For the volume
of transactions we do, the amount of user support we have to do is
surprisingly minimal.

We migrated from HP UX to Windows 5 years ago - I did a lot of preparation
before the migration(writing scripts to automate file copying etc), and
over a weekend I switched everything across.  The Monday users continued as
if nothing had happened - we only had some issues with Windows user
accounts that had uppercase letters in them. This means that Embrace copes
well with server migrations.

Server Administration (on the Embrace/Universe server) for me consists of
once-a-month loading Windows patches, and while everyone is off-line
defragmenting the data file systems.  We encounter severe fragmentation on
some of the files on the NTFS file systems.

Top of the wishlist would be a decent report generator - I know ACS is
addressing that in the newer versions.  Also, in the past they did not seem
keen on supporting Embrace on a Linux server, and the Embrace Desktop
client is not available for anything but Windows.

You are welcome to email me off-list for more detail.

HTH

Regards

Arnold Bosch
IT Administrator
Taeuber & Corssen SWA (Pty) Ltd
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
------

             "Dennis Bartlett"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             .co.za>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          cc
             stserver.u2ug.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [U2] ACS Embrace
             16/04/2008 10:19

             Please respond to
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                er.u2ug.org

Hi

Does anybody use ACS (South Africa) Embrace software - if so, any comments
on usage, eg problems, wishlist, whatever?

dennis