We don't use any indices, so I've never run into that issue, although
I've heard cautionary tales about it many times.  Seems like someone
posted in the recent past that the latest versions of UV stopped using
absolute pathnames for the indices, though, and now use relative path
names.  I assume that means you can now do an OS level copy without
having to worry about your copied index pointing to the wrong file.

As far as the dynamic file issue, we have quite a few dynamic files, and
I've never had an issue with copying them while the database was idle.
Could be we've just been lucky, but the development area is actively
used for development and training on a daily basis, so that seems
statistically improbable.  Is it possible the load counters are
periodically flushed to disk?

-John