To: <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 10:09 PM
Subject: RE: [U2] Unirpc

Oh I found my answer in this Technote on IBM's website....

Is there a way to cause the "unirpcd" to timeout?

Problem
"unirpcd" requires a series of communication handshakes between the
client and server component before a service can be open and closed
down. If one of these handshakes is missing then the "unirpcd" will hang
in a wait / listening state thereby by "hanging" the "unirpcd" daemon.
This problem creates a situation where no new rpc services can be
started.

A timeout parameter was created to allow unirpcd abandon waiting for the
other part of the incoming request after a certain time so that it can
accept new requests. This fix is the result of a number of cases where
the unirpcd is left hanging waiting for input from the client and the
unirpcd daemon never getting it. The addition of this parameter is the
result of ECASE 5040 and applies to UniVerse 10.x and UniData 6.x

Cause
"unirpcd" was hanging due to client session not responding with
information for the "unirpcd" to process

Solution
NOTE: This applies to UNIX and Linux systems.
The "unirpcd" daemon can be started "manually" with a timeout value. The
syntax is as follows:

...../unirpcd -timeout300

There is no space between "-timeout" and the actual value. The timeout
value is in units of "seconds". In this case, the time is for 300
seconds.

The minimum meaningful timeout value is "1".

Note: This must be done at the command line. Existing menus, procedures,
and other code that already have a start sequence in them to start the
"unirpcd" will have to be changed to include this parameter. Until then,
these automated process will continue to start the "unirpcd" without any
timeout value.