From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of doug chanco
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:42 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] locking code question

we COULD use source safe as Israel pointed if source code is kept in unix
directories they can be samba mounted on a PC and then checked into and out of
source safe.

The main issue I am trying to get resolved is to lock the record at the pick
level , in case someone does nto check out a code and then tries to edit it
when another developer already has it checked out, since most of our developers
use a "pick aware" editor as long as the record was locked at the pick level,
they would get a warning message, teh question is whats the best way to lock
program "x" at the pick level?

1. I could AE/ED and lock it that way (programtically of course) but then how
do I exit gracefully?
2. I could READU the item in a program and keep that program running forever
(at least until the developer checks it back in then the program could
terminate) 3. If I could somehow manage to modify the lock table to say that
this item is locked and once checked in modify the lock table to release the
lock (this is my preferred solution but I am not sure if its doable or if I
have the skill to modify the locking table without corrupting it) 4. other
iseas/suggestions?

thanks all

dougc