[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 19/06/2008 17:51:55:

<snip>

> If we have a pick file called "CONTROL" and there is a group lock on the

> CONTROL file what I am curious about would be:
>
> 1. why would a group lock be set?

A group lock which actually locks the group is normally transient. It is
set by the system momentarily when the group is updated. The group lock
table has entries in it that are not locked groups.

I think that, if there are more than a set number of record locks in any
one group, then Universe will promote those records locks to a group lock.
This number is configurable. But then I may have dreamt that I was told
that piece of information...

> 2. does it lock the ENTIRE file?

No. A file is normally split into a large number of groups. The number of
groups in a file is the modulo of the file.

The Basic statement FILELOCK allows you to lock the entire file. I have
never used it nor have I come across any coed that uses it....
Incidentally, the OPENSEQ statement also locks a file.

> 3. figuring out who set/has the group lock

LIST.READU EVERY from TCL is your friend here. There are upto three
sections in this report.

The first show active group "locks" where all of these locks normally have
IN or RD Lmode column which indicates the groups are not really locked.

The second shows active READU locks. There are items locked by Basic
programs with the READU statement.

The third section, and the most important, has a list of ports that are
being held up by locks held by other ports.

> 4. how would it be set (I did not see any reference in the basic manual
> about setting group locks)

You cant set it.

> 5. best way to release the lock

The UNLOCK statement can be used to release group, readu or file locks.
There are many options to this, but I normally use UNLOCK USER <port
number of user> ALL. See the help for more inofrmation.

You need to be superuser and in the uv account to use this statement.

> thanks again

You're welcome.

cheers,

asvin

<snip>

HSBC Bank plc may be solicited in the course of its placement efforts for
a new issue, by investment clients of the firm for whom the Bank as a firm
already provides other services. It may equally decide to allocate to its
own proprietary book or with an associate of HSBC Group. This represents a
potential conflict of interest. HSBC Bank plc has internal arrangements
designed to ensure that the firm would give unbiased and full advice to
the corporate finance client about the valuation and pricing of the
offering as well as internal systems, controls and procedures to identify
and manage conflicts of interest.

HSBC Bank plc
Registered Office: 8 Canada Square, London E14 5HQ, United Kingdom
Registered in England - Number 14259
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT!

This transmission has been issued by a member of the HSBC Group
"HSBC" for the information of the addressee only and should not be
reproduced and/or distributed to any other person. Each page
attached hereto must be read in conjunction with any disclaimer
which forms part of it. Unless otherwise stated, this transmission
is neither an offer nor the solicitation of an offer to sell or
purchase any investment. Its contents are based on information
obtained from sources believed to be reliable but HSBC makes no
representation and accepts no responsibility or liability as to its
completeness or accuracy.