Heehee, Chuck! I once heard a 3rd party presidential candidate refer to the
major parties' "fixing Social Security" that way.

You can use fixtool in the interactive mode, if you really feel bold,
adventurous, know what you're doing and it helps if your family owns the
company. If it's a broken flink, you're pretty much hosed (ok, you _could_
restore the file somewhere else from tape & find the proper flink for that
frame by looking at the restored file). But if it's a blink, you can trace to
the break, and key in the proper backward link, fixing - er, "correcting" -
the chain.

May I interject here that this is (to me) a major reason why you want to avoid
overflow. "Wide and shallow" shall be your files. If you have no overflow (an
impossible ideal, but strive in that direction), you cannot have broken links
to overflow. > Subject: RE: [U2] fixtool> Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 12:04:30
-0400> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org> > > > I read somewhere that all it does is fix
the broken link ("fixing"> the > > > file but losing the data that the broken
link pointed to).> > > > This may be all that can be done. A backward link
error often means> that> > two groups apparently own the same overflow block.
The data of one> will> > have overwritten the other. There is no way that any
recovery tool> could> > ever get back the lost data.> > Yes, data truncated. >
"Fix", as in when you get your dog "fixed": snip, snip.> -------> u2-users
http://listserver.u2ug.org/