>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

A chroot on Unix operating systems is an operation that changes the apparent
disk root directory for the current running process and its children. A
program that is re-rooted to another directory cannot access or name files
outside that directory, called a "chroot jail" or (less commonly) a "chroot
prison". The term "chroot" may refer to the chroot(2) system call or the
chroot(8) wrapper program.

The chroot system call was introduced by Bill Joy on 18 March 1982 - 17
months before 4.2BSD was released - in order to test its installation and
build system.

Sounds like it might help you out after all.

Tom Dodds

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Butera
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2008 8:31 AM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] Linux Psuedo Directory

<quote who='Results' date='Monday 04 August 2008'>
> All,
>     I'm going blank on this one, all help appreciated. I want to create
> a Linux user who cannot see the top level directories, i.e. what they
> see as '/' is actually further down the chain. Can anyone remind me how?
>
>     - Chuck "Rootless" Barouch

Somehow 'chroot' does not seem like what you want, but I won't presume.

--
Jeff Butera, Ph.D.
Administrative Systems

"Email gives the illusion of progress even when
   nothing is happening."  unknown

database 3324 (20080804) __________

http://www.eset.com